Phthalylsulfathiazole

(BAN, rINN)
Phthalylsulfathiazole Chemical formula
Synonyms: Ftalilsulfatiazol; Ftalilsulfatiazolas; Ftálilszulfatiazol; Ftalylsulfathiazol; Ftalylsulfatiazol; Ftalyylisulfatiatsoli; Phtalylsulfathiazol; Phthalazolum; Phthalylsulfathiazolum; Phthalylsulphathiazole; Sulfaphtalylthiazol. 4′-(1,3-Thiazol-2-ylsulphamoyl)phthalanilic acid.
Cyrillic synonym: Фталилсульфатиазол.

💊 Chemical information

Chemical formula: C17H13N3O5S2 = 403.4.
CAS — 85-73-4.
ATC — A07AB02.
ATC Vet — QA07AB02.

Pharmacopoeias.

In Eur. and Viet.

Ph. Eur. 6.2

(Phthalylsulfathiazole). A white or yellowish-white crystalline powder. Practically insoluble in water; slightly soluble in alcohol and in acetone; freely soluble in dimethylformamide. Protect from light.

💊 Profile

Phthalylsulfathiazole is a sulfonamide with properties similar to those of sulfamethoxazole. It is poorly absorbed, about 95% remaining in the intestine and only about 5% being slowly hydrolysed to sulfathiazole and absorbed. It is given, with other antibacterials, for its antibacterial action in the gastrointestinal tract in the treatment of infections and for bowel decontamination before surgery.

💊 Preparations

Proprietary Preparations

Multi-ingredient: Arg.: Antidiar†; Carbon Tabs; Colistop; Colistoral†; Diarrocalmol; Estreptocarbocaftiazol; Gemipasmol†; Lefa Enteril†; Opocarbon; Opocler†; Braz.: Parenterin; Sanadiar†; Chile: Imecol; Liracol; Testisan; Mex.: Bontal; Ditayod; Sultroquin†; Port.: Cloranpectina†; Spain: Estreptoenterol†; Thai.: Chlorotracin; Coccila†; Disento; Endothalyl; Mediocin†.
Published May 08, 2019.